This is a slate.com open discussion on an issue many will be facing in the short term. Should you visit your mom on Mother’s Day and break social distancing rules to celebrate and appreciate your number one lady during a pandemic?
Covid19 has really changed our lives in a number of way, some irreparable, but the fact of the matter is the pandemic is taking a huge physical and emotional tole on those most vulnerable in our society. This discussion article weighs the pros and cons of breaking the social distancing orders and help you to come to a conclusion on if you should visit mom.
BUY NOW PAY LATER WITH AFFIRM!
Should you Break Social Distancing for Mom on Mother's Day?
Dear Care and Feeding,
This is a question about parents and adult children, but I’m hoping you can help. I’m a mid-30s woman, single, no kids. My parents are just over 70, and they live a few hours away. They are thankfully in good health. I haven’t seen them for about two months because of the pandemic. My siblings are both married with a couple kids, and everyone in their families is generally staying home, including the kids. My siblings, who live close to my parents, have been getting them groceries, and my parents have been taking socially distanced walks outside with them. Twice, they have gotten together for a meal at someone’s house where they promise that everyone is 6 feet away and washing their hands religiously. I had objections to these gatherings, but I let it go. So far, everyone is thankfully healthy.
My mother wants to see me for Mother’s Day. I normally see her once or twice a month, so this has been hard for her. I think she doesn’t see much risk in it since she’s been seeing my siblings regularly. She insists we would keep the proper distance apart and would stay outside, but of course people would have to go inside to use the restroom, the kids are running around, etc. I’m still going into work once or twice a week, albeit in a low-risk setting. I live in an area with a much higher infection rate than where they live. I also deal with anxiety. It was mostly under control before all this happened, but now it’s … not. I spiral into what-ifs and worst-case scenarios at least once a day. I’m working on that with a therapist, but I think this is just how it’s going to be for a while.
So I guess my question is, how do I rationally assess the risk of a Mother’s Day visit with appropriate safeguards when my brain is incapable of rationally assessing risk right now? How dangerous is this proposal, really? Relatedly, even if restrictions ease, I can’t see an end to social distancing requirements until there’s a vaccine or at least an effective treatment. How can I tell my mother I’m not coming for Mother’s Day when I have no idea when it will be safe to see her again?
—Muddled About Mother’s Day
Let me assess the risk for you, because you’re both emotionally compromised (of course!) and already someone grappling with anxiety.
There is nothing magical about Mother’s Day, which is about selling greeting cards and also making people with horrible mothers or deceased mothers feel awful. You love your mother every day, which is why you have been trying to protect her from the possibility of inadvertent transmission of something that could end her life. Your siblings have made different choices, but those choices are their own.
You live in an area of higher viral concentration, so it is not unreasonable or paranoid to love your mother enough to cause her temporary pain in order to risk bringing the potential of great, great harm to an area that so far has been lucky enough to avoid a major cluster.
I want to see my mother on Mother’s Day too. One of my dearest friends has a mother who may already not be with us next Mother’s Day, and every day she loves her mother by not getting on a series of planes to go see her, however much she is desperate to. This is the crummy way you get to love your mother this year.
I’m so sorry. As to how to explain it to her, you have two basic options: lying and the truth. You can pretend you’re coming and then announce you are flat on your back with the flu and cannot possibly come. This will open you up to “Well, we can pretend next Sunday is Mother’s Day.” Not a great solution. A better lie, which, like all successful lies, is tied to the truth, is to say you asked your doctor their opinion, and they begged you not to go. A doctor would certainly tell you not to go; we’re just skipping the middleman.
Or just tell the truth: that you don’t want to risk making her sick, or any of your other relatives sick, that you are following the recommendations of expert virologists, that you desperately wish you were there, and that you would love to have a Skype or speakerphone dinner with your extended family that night. If they think you are cruel or heartless or paranoid or anxious, let them.
You’re doing the right thing. You’re a good daughter.
Mother's May Sale w Joseph Asher
- $ 749.00 – $ 3,995.00Mother’s day is only a week away, so we’ve dreamed up a stay-at-home solution to celebrate Mom. This year, we’re shipping right to our customer’s front door, the Mother’s Day Gem Box! The box includes Your Choice of: A pair of eye dazzling, Diamond Studs or An elegant Single Diamond Pendant on a 14k white gold[.....]
- $ 749.00 – $ 5,995.00Mother’s day is only a week away, so we’ve dreamed up a stay-at-home solution to celebrate Mom. This year, we’re shipping right to our customer’s front door, the Mother’s Day Gem Box! The box includes Your Choice of: A pair of eye dazzling, Diamond Studs or An elegant Single Diamond Pendant on a 14k white gold[.....]
Shop for MOM in our Private Collection!
- $ 1,100.00Custom Affordable Engagement Rings from Middleton Jewelers. Best source for wedding rings in Middleton is Middleton Jewelers . This Stunning split-shank wedding ring is perfect for someone who is into the dainty engagement ring – or delicate engagement ring style. 14k white gold weighing 1.9grams with a .14ct-I-VS2 center and an additional .12ctw of side[.....]
- $ 3,080.0018K White Gold Ladies Diamond Ring. Split Shank Diamond Cluster Center with Open Gap Halo Studded with Prong Set Round SI-GH Diamonds. This is the perfect anniversary gift for any special lady in your life. Customize your own engagement rings and wedding bands with our build your own diamond ring creator. http://MiddletonJewelers.com/custom-design
- $ 1,294.00This is an amazing hand made diamond 3 stone engagement ring. This .5 Carat diamond ring is wholesale priced diamond wedding ring heaven! This wedding ring is the perfect size for the spouse that is not flashy. If you are thinking of getting a very nice engagement ring on a budget from Middleton Jewelers you[.....]
- $ 996.00This MJ signature piece will definitely add some flare to your jewelry collection. The dangle earring set is in sterling silver with Australian opals. These opals are very special because they have fiery red flakes among the strong blue flakes, making the stones more valuable. The dimensions of the opals are approximately 12x5mm. The earring[.....]
- $ 1,375.00This MJ signature piece is trendy, simple with some bling, and leaves some room for personalization. The 14K yellow gold, custom link necklace includes diamonds and a bar for engraving if desired. The necklace is 18in in length and can be adjusted to 16in. The necklace is priced at $1375.
- $ 850.00This MJ signature piece is simplistic and very trendy with the emerald cut of the gemstone. The 14K yellow gold pendant is an emerald-cut tanzanite that is prong-set with a bail. The 14K yellow gold cable chain is 18in in length. The dimensions of the tanzanite are approximately 6x4mm. The pendant is priced at $850.
- $ 950.00This MJ signature piece is versatile and a perfect piece for summer with its peachy and rosy tones. The 14K rose gold solitaire pendant includes a round, prong-set morganite with a bail. The 14K rose gold chain is an 18in wheat chain. The dimensions of the morganite are approximately 8x8mm. The pendant is priced at[.....]
- $ 950.00This MJ signature piece will grasp your attention immediately with its unique setting and striking gemstone. The 14K rose gold custom pendant is made up of a cabochon-cut, tourmalinated quartz that is enveloped in somewhat of a double halo. The first halo consists of small black beads that are spaced out. The second halo is[.....]
- $ 525.00This dainty MJ signature piece has a traditional look to it with a modern twist. The 10K white gold ring has some filigree detailing on the two football-shaped ovals containing small diamonds that accent the diamond center stone. The center stone is a round brilliant diamond with a filigree halo and a second thin halo[.....]
- $ 375.00This MJ signature piece is simplistic, modern, and dainty. The 10K white gold ring has a tilted, hollow oval of diamonds with a bezel-set, round brilliant diamond at the bottom. Since the oval is at an angle, one end of the shank is higher than the other. The diamonds weigh 0.07ctw. The ring is priced[.....]
- $ 940.00This MJ signature piece is dainty with a cluster of small diamonds. A third of the 14K white gold shank is set with round brilliant diamonds. The cluster of diamonds creates a pear shape that surrounds a larger round brilliant diamond in the center. The diamonds weigh 0.24ctw. The ring is priced at $940.
- $ 3,900.00This MJ signature piece stands out with its dazzling diamond band and center stone. The 14K white gold ring has a diamond-encrusted, three-way split shank, with the middle band being the thickest. The top and bottom bands curve around and accentuate the cushion-cut tanzanite center stone. The tanzanite is a royal blueish-purple. The dimensions of[.....]
- $ 3,200.00The gemstone in this MJ signature piece is the star of the show. The 14K yellow gold, solitaire ring has a thick shank with a round, multi-faceted, multi-colored tanzanite that is prong-set. The dimensions of the multi-colored tanzanite are approximately 7.25×7.25mm. The ring is priced at $3200.
- $ 752.00This MJ signature piece is modern and funky. The 14K white gold ring has three, bar-set, round brilliant diamonds on each side of the oval-cut, tanzanite center stone. The tanzanite is a light, purplish-blue color. Each diamond is set higher than the last, creating a stair effect. The dimensions of the tanzanite are approximately 6x4mm.[.....]
- $ 2,400.00This MJ signature piece truly sparkles with its curved diamond band and tanzanite center stone. The ring is 14K white gold and has a curvy, diamond, pinched, open band. The round tanzanite is prong-set between the front opening of the band. The tanzanite is a deep bluish-purple color. The dimensions of the tanzanite are approximately[.....]
- $ 850.00This MJ signature estate piece is modern and innovative. The 14K white gold, solitaire ring has a curved shank that creates the effect that one side is higher than the other. The higher side of the shank has three flush-set, round brilliant diamonds. The center stone is a trillion-cut tanzanite that is a v-prong set.[.....]
- $ 3,500.00This MJ signature piece has a sizeable center stone enveloped in a flower-like halo of diamonds. The ring is 14K rose gold with a thick shank that includes diamonds as it splits towards the front. The center stone is a cushion-cut morganite that has a halo of diamonds about it, slightly resembling flower petals. The[.....]
- $ 1,050.00This MJ signature piece is elegant with color and texture. The 10K rose gold ring has a rope-style, split shank, and an oval-cut morganite with a halo of diamonds. The morganite is a light peach, rose color. The dimensions of the morganite are approximately 7x5mm. The round brilliant diamonds weigh 0.10ctw. The ring is priced[.....]
- $ 3,200.00The rose gold in this MJ signature piece brings out the pink undertones of the morganite center stone. This 14K rose gold ring has a diamond shank that splits apart to flow into the diamond, double-halo around the oval-cut morganite. The morganite is a light peach color. The dimensions of the morganite are approximately 8x6mm.[.....]